The Bay State is a grade-A place to retire! Nearly 12% of the population is 65 years of age or older. Many people retire in Boston to enjoy premium health care and exciting things to do. Older people who don’t plan on retiring still enjoy a world-class education and lucrative job opportunities.
Another great reason to live in Massachusetts is that Boston senior living is exemplary. You have many options for 55+ communities in Boston, which can make it hard to find the perfect community for you. Start with this informative guide on Boston retirement communities from Boston senior movers.
What Is a 55+ Community?
55+ communities are condominiums, apartment complexes, or neighborhoods reserved for people 55 years of age or older. They are sometimes called “active living communities” because adults in good health live in them. If you have a health issue that requires ongoing medical treatment, you should consider moving to an assisted living facility.
55+ communities in Boston are also called “retirement communities.” However, you do not need to be retired to live in one. You are always able to move in with a spouse, romantic partner, or friend, but you may not be able to move in with young children. Contact the owner of the community to see what their guidelines are.
Benefits of Living in Boston Retirement Communities
The benefits of residing in the best retirement communities in Massachusetts include:
- Opportunities to socialize; many Massachusetts 55 plus communities have clubs and parties for mingling
- Luxurious amenities; 55 plus communities in Massachusetts have clubhouses, on-site restaurants, and full-time concierge staff
- Affordable housing close to attractions and public transportation
- Safety and security; over 55 communities in Boston employ security guards and have high-tech surveillance systems
- Lectures, musical performances, and other special events
- Free or affordable services for home maintenance, shuttles, and pet care
Beacon House | Low-Cost Apartments in the Heart of Downtown Boston
Beacon House is an apartment complex reserved for people 55 and older who need affordable housing. It contains 85 rent-subsidized and 32 rent-moderated apartments, including one-bedroom units and studios. Seven apartments have been refurbished for wheelchair users. Each Beacon House Boston apartment comes with an air conditioner, ceiling fan, and stainless steel appliances, including a dishwasher. You also have access to a full bathroom. You can move in with another person, and a large studio would have enough room for both of you.
Beacon House apartments are centrally located in Boston. The Boston Common, Massachusetts State House, and Freedom Trail are all within walking distance. You can also access several bus and train stops as well as numerous restaurants, stores, and museums.
- Address: 19 Myrtle Street, Boston, MA 02114
- Phone: 617-523-8295
- Amenities: Community room, computer lab with professional classes, fitness room, library, lounge, on-site laundry facilities, roof deck, swimming pool, valet trash
- Housing: One-room and studio apartments available for rent, 12-month lease minimum
- Pricing: Prices depend on your income level; caps are at 30% of your monthly income
Spencer House | Affordable Apartments for Older Singles and Couples Near Boston
Spencer House is another apartment complex for low-income people. The complex contains 46 units. Your income cannot exceed $37,750 for one person or $43,150 for two people. You also must be at least 62 to move in. In order to move in, you must fill out an application detailing your income history.
Each unit has its own bathroom and kitchen, as well as a central air conditioning system. The units are designed for one or two-person households, so larger families will need to look elsewhere. Each apartment is 540 square feet in size.
The complex is located in Egleston Square, a neighborhood in South Boston. The area is close to Franklin Park, Forest Hills Cemetery, and other green areas. The neighborhood contains several train stops and access to Columbus Avenue, which can take you into downtown Boston.
- Address: 2053R Columbus Avenue, Roxbury, MA 02119
- Phone: 617-427-5500
- Amenities: Community room, on-site parking, security systems
- Housing: One-bedroom apartments available for rent
- Pricing: Prices depend on your income level
Cabot Park Village | Luxurious Apartments In a Prosperous Boston Suburb
Cabot Park Village is located in Newton, MA, a suburb that borders Boston. Newton is a vibrant residential city with great restaurants and schools, so you can find a lot to do without going into Boston. The community has been in business for more than 20 years, making it one of the oldest over 55 communities in Massachusetts.
Cabot Park contains numerous shared spaces, giving you opportunities to meet with your loved ones and bond with members of the community. The spaces include patios with fire features and grills, which you can use to cook meals. You can also lounge in landscaped gardens and near raised garden beds.
A team of staff ensures that you will have an active and social lifestyle at Cabot Park. They plan programs throughout the year, including music and exercise courses. You can also enjoy activities like group outings, parties, and movie screenings.
- Address: 280 Newtonville Avenue, Newtonville, MA 02460
- Phone: 617-454-4101
- Amenities: Barbershop, computer room, concierge, general store, hair salon, indoor pool, library, outdoor courtyards, walking paths
- Housing: Studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments available for rent
- Pricing: One-bedroom apartments start at $7,200 a month; two-bedroom units start at $8,250; call ahead for price and availability for studio apartments
Pennington Crossing | Tranquil Boston Senior Condos
Pennington Crossing is located in Walpole, MA, 25 miles south of Boston and 30 miles north of Providence, Rhode Island. If you have family in southern New England or on Cape Cod, you should consider moving to Pennington. The community consists of 172 condominiums built by Pulte Homes, a company with more than 70 years of experience in building condos and houses. Each condo has spacious rooms, extensive storage space, and private balconies.
You can move into one of four different buildings. Each building is located near an open green space, and the entire community is surrounded by trees, creating a natural aesthetic. You can walk around the community for exercise and lounge in a pavilion.
- Address: 1000 Pennington Drive, Walpole, MA 02081
- Phone: 508-658-9371
- Amenities: Clubhouse, grilling stations, outdoor pool, underground parking, walking trail
- Housing: One-bedroom and two-bedroom condominiums between 940 and 1,721 square feet available for rent or purchase
- Pricing: One-bedroom units start at $2,893 a month; two-bedroom units start at $3,279 a month
635 Old Post | Pet-Friendly and Wheelchair-Accessible Apartments Close to Green Spaces
635 Old Post is located in Sharon, MA, roughly 17 miles south of downtown Boston. Sharon is a medium-sized town with great access to walking trails, state parks, and farms. This makes 635 one of the best 55+ communities in MA for people looking for a rural environment, outdoor activities, or pristine green spaces.
The entire complex is wheelchair and handicap-accessible. You can use wheelchair ramps to get into the building and elevators to get to the upper floors. 635 is a pet-friendly complex, though the managers impose breed restrictions on dogs. Talk to a manager before moving in to see if your pet qualifies.
Diamond Builders constructed the condos in 2017, so they contain numerous modern features. You can enjoy quartz countertops, hardwood cabinets painted white, and tiled showers with backsplashes.
- Address: 635 Old Post Road, Sharon, MA, 02067
- Phone: 617-828-3370
- Amenities: Arts and crafts center, community room, computer room, dog park, exercise room, game room, library, nature trail, outdoor gardening area, putting green, solarium, underground garages
- Housing: One to three-bedroom condos available for rent or purchase
- Pricing: Prices start in the high $300,000s
Millwood Preserve | Furnished Apartments With Modern Features
Millwood Preserve is in Framingham, MA, 23 miles west of Boston. Living in Framingham gives you access to the Golden Triangle, one of Greater Boston’s biggest shopping districts. You can also enjoy great access to public transportation, including shuttles to Logan Airport. Yet Millwood Preserve Framingham is adjacent to Callahan State Park, which covers more than 800 acres. The park is a great place to exercise, and it makes the community feel quaint and peaceful.
All residences contain modern features like tankless water heaters, gas fireplaces, and two-car attached garages. You also have multiple walk-in closets, spacious family and dining rooms, and second-story lofts you can use for storage or spare bedrooms.
- Address: 175 Millwood Street, Framingham, MA
- Phone: 888-801-5603
- Amenities: Bocce court, clubhouse, community gardens, fitness center, outdoor patio, pickleball court, walking trails
- Housing: Two-bedroom townhouses between 2,300 and 2,500 square feet available for sale
- Pricing: Prices start in the high $900,000s
Fuller Village | Comfortable and Low-Maintenance Apartments and Villas With Great Services
Fuller Village is in Milton, MA, which is directly south of Boston. Money Magazine has ranked Milton in the top 25 places to live in 2022, praising it for its low crime rates, great schools, and terrific job opportunities.
Fuller Village Milton MA is divided into two communities, giving you many options for your residence. Blue Hill has single-level apartments as well as independent villas. The community has a main dining room that you share with other members of the community and loved ones.
Brush Hill has apartments inside several buildings. The community has a fitness center with an indoor pool, cafe, and putting green. Regardless of where you live, all residents have access to book launches, classes, lectures, and musical performances.
- Address: 1399 Blue Hill Avenue, Milton, MA 02186
- Phone: 617-440-9075
- Amenities: Billiards table, community garden, hair salon, horseshoe court, library, mind-body studio for massages and pilates, walking path, wellness clinic
- Housing: One-bedroom apartments and villas available for sale
- Pricing: Apartments start at $260,000; villas start at $450,000; all residents pay monthly fees for services and amenities
Map of Retirement Communities in Boston
You can find the best retirement communities in Boston with this helpful map!
Retirement homes in Boston cater to active and independent adults. You can enjoy resort-style amenities and services at affordable prices. You have many choices for 55 plus communities in Boston MA, including apartments for rent and villas for purchase. Spend time doing your research until you find one you love.
Then, touch base with a team of reliable Boston movers. Mass Bay Movers can help any senior move anywhere in the Boston area. Get your free quote by calling 978-587-3775.